RPDA Workshop June 4, 2019
As educators in our connected era, how can we make the most of our ability to reach out to others beyond our school building? And what are some exciting ways that current technologies can foster rich learning experiences in the classroom?
This session will offer practical methods for teachers of all subject areas to incorporate connected and collaborative experiences in support of various learning goals. Learn how to make connections with industry experts, authors, and classrooms around the world to provide exciting avenues for deeper understanding of content and different perspectives. Discover ways to participate in live video conferencing experiences using free tools (such as Skype and Zoom Meeting) and learn about high-quality educational programming available for K-12. Teachers will also discover opportunities to engage students with global collaborative projects, virtual tours, guest speakers, “Mystery Skype,” and more! Many of the applications will be free and available to use on various devices.
The workshop will include time for hands-on exploration and discussion of implementation ideas. You will come away from this session with strategies, examples, and resources to help you connect your classroom to the world in meaningful and exciting ways.
**Participants of all levels of technology proficiency are welcome to come to share ideas and experiences
**Participants are encouraged to bring their own devices (smartphones, iPads/tablets, laptops, etc.) and headphones with microphone to be able to fully explore the potential of the technology tools. (Make sure devices are fully charged; bring power cable.)
Participants will gain knowledge and skills in:
- ways to find people to connect with (ie. guest speakers, authors, experts, and other classrooms)
- how to use applications for video conferencing (such as Skype and Zoom Meeting)
- how to engage in virtual tours, global projects and other connected learning experiences to support curricular content and 21st century skill-building
To Download in advance if desired:
Zoom Meeting https://zoom.us/download#client_4meeting (desktop and/or mobile)
Skype (desktop and/or mobile) https://www.skype.com/en/get-skype/
Mystery Skype Video of class to class experience (4th grade)
Skype a Scientist www.skypeascientist.com
Nearpod www.nearpod.com (free and $ upgrades)
Twitter– use hashtags to search or tweet message #globaled #globaledchat #globalclassroom #skype2learn
Google + Communities–Finding Classrooms to Connect with
Global project sites
- Google Artsandculture.google.com
- Google Street Views classtechtips.com/2017/12/03/google-street-views-classroom
- CNN Virtual Reality 360 Videos www.cnn.com/specials/vr/vr-archives
- 360 Cities www.360cities.net
- YouTube VR Channels
- Discovery Education Science and Engineering Virtual Field Trips
- Google Tour Builder www.controlaltachieve.com/2017/10/tour-builder.html
- Google Street View Treks www.google.com/maps/about/treks/#/grid
- 360 Cities www.360cities.net/
- Lockheed Martin
- Undeniable Dairy
Discussion Prompt Ideas classtechtips.com/2018/05/27/virtual-reality-discussion-prompts
Matt Harding Where is Matt?